[sustran] Re: PRT proposal for Delhi convinces Chief Minister

Visweswar vissu.indian at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 16:40:10 JST 2011

The real big question is does Delhi and India need such capital intensive
low capacity fancy systems when we can achieve much much higher capacities
through proper planning of the conventional Public transport systems like
the BRT. If these investments are spent on improving existing infrastructure
and roads it makes more sense. The Government shall understand and
prioritise investments rather than opting for fancy systems. Public
Transport is an important duty of any responsible govt but not "the only"
duty, India is in a dear need of many other basic necessities like education
and health. These sectors according to me are more important than anything
else. What's the use of your pod cars when you are not able to provide
health and education facilities to any acceptable level to its citizens?

I disagree with someone's suggestion that pod cars should be used as
complimentary system to BRT and Metro. Providing a well planned bus
network in any city with walk and NMT as major access modes would be more
acceptable, cheaper and sustainable in the long run. BRT and bus systems
would be a better option to feed metros but not atleast pod taxis.

I really can't understand how and when pod taxis have become sustainable and
more acceptable as feeder services as opposed to walk and cycling.

--
Vissu

Support Akshaya patra: Unlimited food for education (
http://www.akshayapatra.org/)
Every small contribution makes a difference.