[sustran] Re: PRT proposal for Delhi convinces Chief Minister

ashok datar datar.ashok at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 02:43:41 JST 2011

it is a very lively and serious debate on this new "toy" , may be good for
very select uses at airports etc but cant be a sensible option for other
major areas in any large and complex city.
in fact, we need to have overall restraint policy for the urbanization as
such all over
if we want to cope with congestion, pollution, energy and sustainabiliy
I think the cities need to degrow beyond a certain level
they must remain within ground level transportation - preferably bussing (
i.e. when u cant walk or bike )
hopefully for most worktrips and other regular trips for education as well -
it should be walking or biking oriented and then the BRTS
and only in rare cases, taxies and hired personal cars for occasional uses
so that we go towards miniimizning private, individually owned cars and
provide more dense but low carbon impact and sustaibly green habitat
we cant have all comforts which are based on personal car and then try to
reject it
we need to work towards alternate design of living especially in sustainable
manner as global availability of energy, food, water is going to be liimited
and need to equitably available and transport is a crtical element in the
way we live especially in large urban societies based on exploitation of
rural pop which can also be more sustainabale and "urban" with new
techonlogies
can we think altogether differently - not too radically
ashok datar