[sustran] Re: PRT proposal for Delhi convinces Chief Minister

Sujit Patwardhan patwardhan.sujit at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 17:25:20 JST 2011

We should write to the Chief Minister and explain to her that what Delhi
needs is more facilities for public transport (large capacity vehicles) and
not PRT which is actually another form of Personal Transport that actually
needs to be discouraged.
--
Sujit

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 1:16 PM, Rajendra Ravi
<rajendra_ravi at idsindia.net>wrote:

> Dear Faizan,Our Chief Minister and other Political leaders want to Show as
> &nbsp;Delhi a World class &nbsp;Transport Museum where different mode of
> transport will be experimented with Delhi citizen.
> Rajendra Ravi &nbsp;
>
> On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 22:48:13 , Faizan Jawed &lt;phaizan at gmail.com&gt;
> wrote
> We might remember (almost) lampooning Roger Davidheiser's vision contained
>
> in "The Third Generation Roadway:Metropolitan Transport for the 21st
>
> Century". It seems it is turning to reality in New Delhi. Some
> "interesting"
>
> bits of text has been highlighted by me. Whatever happened to common sense!
>

> -Faizan
>

> ###
>
> * After Metro, now Pod Cars for Delhi? *
>
> *New Delhi: * Delhi may soon have a pod car system on the lines of those in
>
> many western cities under which battery operated automated pods, having a
>
> capacity to carry up to six passengers, will offer transportation from
> point
>
> to point.
>

> Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, after witnessing a presentation, asked
>
> Delhi Integrated Multi Modal Transit System Limited (DIMTS) and Transport
>
> Department to prepare a detailed project report (DPR) on introduction of
> the
>
> pollution free transport system in the city.
>

> Pod car system is a public transportation mode featuring small automated
>
> vehicles operating on a network of specially-built tracks. In pod car
>
> system, vehicles are sized for individual or small group travel, typically
>
> carrying no more than six passengers per vehicle.
>

> After the presentation, Dikshit said her government is keen to take it up
> as
>
> a pilot project in areas such as Dwarka, Karol Bagh, East Delhi and Delhi
>
> University North Campus.
>

> "It will definitely supplement the existing modes of public transport and
>
> will come up as an alternative to the personal vehicles," Dikshit said.
>

> Transport department officials said the new system may be termed as a
>
> personal rapid transit.
>

> The private company, which gave the presentation on the project, has
> offered
>
> to commission it with its own resources.
>

> "Further it will be economically viable as far as the commuters are
>
> concerned. The average fare of the pod will come to be around Rs. 6 per
> km,"
>
> said the official.
>

> http://www.ndtv.com/article/cities/after-metro-now-pod-cars-for-delhi-101691

> sustran-discuss and get full membership rights.

> (the 'Global South').

> sustran-discuss and get full membership rights.

> (the 'Global South').

*“..each million we invest into urban motorways is an investment
to destroy the city“*

Mayor Hans Joachim Vogel
Munich 1970

Sujit Patwardhan
patwardhan.sujit at gmail.com
sujit at parisar.org <sujitjp at gmail.com>
Yamuna, ICS Colony, Ganeshkhind Road, Pune 411 007, India
Tel: +91 20 25537955
Cell: +91 98220 26627