[sustran] IEA roadmap sees 27% biofuel use by 2050

eric britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Thu Apr 21 17:43:46 JST 2011

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

1.     What? Biofuels are back? Again? Help me! Is this just plain silly? Or
am I missing something important here?

2.     To my mind, this is absolutely insane and/or flagrantly irresponsible
meta-proposal.  It's a pure plant, a crafty public relations project
launched by people who want to put their hand into my pocket, and others who
pliantly announce that's OK.

3.     Funding biofuels with taxpayer dollars? No more, no less that a
recurrent boondoggle, popping up the next time with a different set of
clothes but always the same ugly idea, i.e., taking scarce public money to
serve private interests.

4.     I see no reason for being "reasonable" in the face of these bad
recurrent ideas, which have at the base the purloining of hard earned
taxpayer money to create future profit opportunities for a sector (the
enterprise sector that is) whose job and raison d'être it is to be smart,
capable and figuring out how to make money now and in the future. They are
big guys and we the taxpayers and our public servants should not be holding
their hand.

5.     Moreover, I have  hard time understanding while a bunch of earnest
civil servants sitting around some kind of comfortable table in an
international capital can pretend that they have the competence to take such
positions. That's just silly.

6.     Not one penny of taxpayer money should be spent in pushing, pulling,
whatever, alternative fuels. That is the domain and the expertise of the
private sector.

7.     The use of such words as "vision" and "incentivize" (I didn't even
know that was a word in proper English) and prhases making statements such
as ". . .  without adversely affecting food security or the environment" . .
Where do they get that from?

8.     The job of responsible governance is get the laws, prices and
enforcement right for a society that is sustainable and just. In this case
it means of course that we collectively are not doing this critical part of
our job – which requires full and fair energy pricing.

9.     Get this right and you give clear price signals to the enterprise
sector which can then go away and figure out what they are supposed to do –
i.e., to find the products and services that will make them and their
stockholders rich in the future. That's what they are supposed to do. We
don't want them to "think green", unless it is in their interest to do so.
We want them to invent the iPad on their own dollar.  Without the help of
international committees.

When this planet goes down the drain, there will be a lot of really nice
reasonable people watching and wringing their hands.

Let's not be "reasonable people". Let's win this war.

Eric Britton