[sustran] Plan B for sustainable mobility in cities

eric britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Thu Sep 30 20:10:13 JST 2010

Dear Mr. Padiyar,

Thank you for your excellent note on demographics and movement in Hanoi,
Saigon and Mumbai. I sincerely believe it is an excellent counterpoint and
challenge which usefully fills out these discussions about alternative
approaches to moving people in 231st century cities.

My position in this at any rate is not to EXCLUDE heavy rail as a possible
solution to the mobility problems of the diverse and spread-out populations
of our Asian cities, but rather simply to ask that the entire process be (a)
carried out in the broad light of public consultation from start to finish
and (b) to provide a proper budget for eventual other and perhaps cheaper
and even better ways of getting the basic movement job done. This is, I
believe, an essential condition for informed decision making especially when
we are dealing with projects that cost taxpayers somewhere hundreds of
millions of dollars, if not more.

I say this, but I am sure that you agree with us on the importance of an
open approach to planning and decision making in our cities.

With kind regards,

Eric Britton

Sharing: Smarter than you thought.