[sustran] First urban railway route in Hanoi under construction

eric britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Tue Sep 28 17:23:48 JST 2010

Your point is a good one Roland (I am just back an advisory mission in
Taipei), but let me try this on you.

That system was planned and decided back in the eighties, almost a
generation ago, when the basic movement patterns were quite different than
they are in Asian cities today. Also it was well before the
hyper-scooterization of many Asian cities. A phenomenon which in my book
changes everything.

I would say that their most likely model" is the metro in Kaohsiung, opened
last year to a resounding thud in ridership, in a city in which three
quarters of the population own and use motorized two wheelers as their
favorite means of getting around.  And during which ridership levels are les
than one third predicted, and necessary for the survival of the existing
ownership structure. Keep you eye on Kaohsiung where their first class and
wonderfully executed  KMRT is almost certain to go bottom up in the coming
months.

I do not rejoice from this news, far from it. And I am also sure that the
Kaohsiung metro will in time find its place but it will take time, brains
and policy to make it into a real transportation asset for the city. And all
that with six billion US dollars already under the surface of the city.

Our cities have changed. So to must be our responses. I hope from the bottom
of my heart that Hanoi and other cities across Asia that would like to build
their own albatross will consider this and act on it.

Eric

PS. And please dear friends and colleagues, take this argument apart. I can
stand the pain.