[sustran] Re: Sustran/India Streets: An invitation and reflection

Paul Barter peebeebarter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 09:26:22 JST 2010

Thanks Eric for the kind words about sustran-discuss.  However, I need to
correct some small factual mistakes.

[By the way, India Streets seems like a great initiative. I really hope it
flourishes.  And it will be great if sustran-discuss can help fertilise the
content there, as it already enriches various blogs, forums and other
endeavours in which sustran-discussers are engaged.]

*Here are some facts about sustran-discuss: *

*  Sustran-discuss actually began in May 1997, not 1999.

*  There are actually 382 members in the JCA-based sustran-discuss.

*  The 1999 starting date and the 144 member figure quoted by Eric refer
only to the yahoogroups mirror. That is not the real list. It is only a
'mirror'. If you are only on the yahoogroups version you will not be able to
post. The real sustran-discuss is delivered via the jca.apc.org domain.
Please read the instructions at the bottom of every list message on how to
join the real JCA-based list.

If we assume some overlap and some 'dead' email addresses among the 382+144
'members' then it is a fair guess that each sustran-discuss message goes to
roughly 400 people or so.

*  The full archives, including 1996 to 1999 can be searched via
http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=014715651517519735401:ijjtzwbu_ss  Try it
now! It works very well, thanks to the volunteer who set up this search
(Sunny?).

All the best

Paul Barter
[co-manager of sustran-discuss, along with Karl Fjellstrom]