[sustran] Re: Fwd: Bicycles, Unchained and Grease-Free

Todd Edelman edelman at greenidea.eu
Sun Oct 24 23:11:53 JST 2010

Hi,

Belt drives are great for most of the reasons mentioned - bikes like the
folding Strida made now in Taiwan use it and are reportedly quite good -
but they still need some cleaning. However, as with classic chain-type
systems, they benefit from having a complete cover, both to keep them
clean and to keep both long trousers and skirts/dresses (and perhaps
other traditional clothing in the Global South?) out of the chain (like
on many typical city bikes)*. Once a classic chain is covered it stays
very clean and hardly needs any maintenance. So then with a cover these
two systems become nearly equal in that aspect... and chains can also be
repaired, adjusted or replaced in every country on Earth, including in
most rural areas.

- T

* Recently I was at an event in Berlin where a man was describing how he
could tell if someone wearing a trousers rode a bike to work in his
German workplace: By their right trouser leg stuck into a sock. Of
course I laughed to myself because e.g. especially in the Netherlands
most people ride to work with a covered chain, thus not requiring that
technique.

--

Todd Edelman
Green Idea Factory,