[sustran] Re: Op-ed piece on CNG

bruun at seas.upenn.edu bruun at seas.upenn.edu
Fri Oct 22 05:42:09 JST 2010

I want to call attention to an article in the Environment 2010 issue
of Transportation
Research Record (TRR 2158). There is an interesting article about the
relative pollution
and CHG levels of various engines used in Mexico City (and elsewhere).

The bottom line is that that CNG with an Oxidation Catalyst improves
the usual CNG propulsion system
that otherwise gives cleaner exhaust, but at the expense of more GHG,
than a diesel. Even better,
the diesel-electric hybrid is all around as good or better than all
other propulsion systems.

Most important of all, it is absolutely essential that Ultra Low
Sulpur Diesel fuel use be strictly enforced. If regular diesel,
kerosene, or any other adulterants are allowed to be used, then the
"clean diesel" equipment will quickly be destroyed.

Mr. Ghazali is absolutely right that technology isn't the problem, it
is organizational.

Eric