[sustran] Re: NMT mode share

K P Padiyar kppadiyar at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 19:09:35 JST 2010

Dear Mr. Wright,

If you are interested in Fundamental theories, the following article is very
interesting:

Anthropological invariants in travel behavior - Marchetti -
www.cesaremarchetti.org/archive/electronic/basic_instincts.pdf

In India, we have GOI's "Report of the study group on alternative systems of
urban transport. Feb. 1987 which gives in Table III 3,
the assumed distance beyond which 50% trips will transfer to PT.: Walk 1 km,
Bicycle 3 kms, 2 wheelers 7 km.
It also gives Potential share transfer for other modes as follows : Car 10%,
cycle rickshaw 25%,  3 wheelers 50% and Institutional 50%. It is not based
on distance. Fig. III 4 gives the modal share of PT fror cities of different
sizes.  This data has been recently updated by MUD financed study "Traffic
and Transportation Policies and Strategies in Urban Areas in India"
www.urbanindia.nic.in/programme/ut/urban_transport.htm
By M/s Wilbur Smith Associates of US.

I have also got other documentation on the subject. If the above data does
not meet your requirements, I can send them one by one.

With regards and seasons' greetings,
Yours Truly,

K.P.Padiyar.