[sustran] Re: Bicycles and girls education

Rutul Joshi joshirutul at yahoo.co.in
Mon Nov 22 22:29:59 JST 2010

While talking to some of my friends, I have always encountered this phenomena in
urban middle class. Empowerment and mobility are highly linked. Having a
flexibility with transport has done wonders in individual families, suddenly the
women in different families have had more central role to play in
decision-making in otherwise patriarchal systems. However, this is more to do
with motorised vehicles than the cycles. But I am sure, that cycling can also do
wonders as Shekhar Gupta mentions. Of course, there is a need to make cycling
safer in everyday life.

Giving away cycles to the girl child has been a interesting political stunt in
the South India. Once a friend working in rural Tamil Nadu told me that having a
cycle with a girl child is having an asset with her out of nowhere. The boys (in
the family and otherwise) see the girls as more 'privileged' - which is a rare
feeling for both genders. The boys don't 'take away' these cycles because these
are 'ladies' cycles and its too much for their ego to ride a 'ladies cycle'. All
in all, such small interventions help more than anything. It is the cheapest way
to promote cycling. However, making rural roads safer for pedestrians and
cyclists is an issue. Designing 'shoulders' of the rural roads differently can
also help the cause. However, students going to school or coming back ride on
their cycles together and 'crowd up' the streets making the roads safer.

Rutul