[sustran] Join us on Facebook: No mandatory bike helmets at Velo-city Global 2012 in Vancouver

Todd Edelman edelman at greenidea.eu
Mon Nov 15 18:07:43 JST 2010

No mandatory bike helmets at Velo-city Global 2012 in Vancouver
<http://tinyurl.com/2dpfsz8>

We are happy and delighted that Vancouver has been selected by the
European Cyclists' Federation as the host city for Velo-city Global in
2012. The administration and people of Vancouver have made great efforts
to make their city become more bike-friendly and they deserve this honor
and challenge.

However, for a variety of reasons we oppose the mandatory all-ages
helmet law of the province of British Columbia.

Therefore - and by Like-ing this Page in Facebook - we announce our
support for a large Mass Non-Compliance & Protest action during
Velo-City in Vancouver. This will most likely be during the week's group
ride, with many hundreds of participants.Participation is inclusive:
People can choose to either wear helmets or not and support the action
either way.

Mass Non-Compliance: Participants will simply not wear a helmet on their
head. They may also want to communicate their feelings in other ways,
from messages on signs to clothing. (From Administrator: As I understand
it the current penalty is simply a ticket for 100 dollars CAN and should
not be risky for people visiting Canada etc).

Protest: This is for people who feel like wearing a helmet (for any
reason) but still want to protest the law. One idea for these people is
to put a sign on their bike, helmet or carry a flag which says, for
example "The BC bike helmet is anti-cycling" or simply "Bad Law".

Will Vancouver police fine unhelmeted cyclists? Apparently compliance
with the law is low and police do not enforce it much of the time. This
is good, but we believe a very clear message is still warranted. People
are still free to wear helmets and should not be judged either way!

See you - with optional head gear - in Vancouver in June 2012!

http://tinyurl.com/2dpfsz8

--

Todd Edelman
Green Idea Factory,