[sustran] Re: Indian official calls German cars 'criminal'

Lee Schipper schipper at wri.org
Sun Nov 14 12:48:32 JST 2010

Agree with Bina and Ashok.  Cheap diesel hurts and its pollution kills. The same thing with cheap diesel happened in Europe as new diesels grew in size and power much faster than new petrol cars until the higher prices for both fuels brought diesel back to its roots. Happy to circulate publications on these recent trends

Lee Schipper
Global Met Studies  UC Berkeley
Precourt En Eff Center Stanford

On Nov 14, 2010, at 10:44, "Ashok Sreenivas" <ashok.sreenivas at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> was "romantic".
>
> Ashok
>
> On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 7:47 AM, Bina C.Balakrishnan <binacb at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Thats not good reporting.
>>
>> What the Minister said is "Use of these cars is criminal", not that German
>> cars are criminal. That is a huge difference.
>>
>> I read the original article when it came out inthe Indian newspapers.
>> I am one hundred percent with Mr. Jairam Ramesh about the use of SUVs on
>> Indian streets - or urban streets, for that matter. These are very large
>> vehicles, and their presence in the traffic stream does cause interference.
>> Besides these large vehicles are not required for purposes of urban
>> movement. And they DO consume a lot of gas.
>>
>> Bina C. Balakrishnan
>> Consultant -
>> Sustainable Transportation Policy, Planning & Management
>> Mumbai, India
>>
>> Cell:    +91 98339 00108
>>
>> Home: +91 22 23630572
>> Fax:    +91 22 23692673
>> e-mail: binacb at gmail.com
>>          binac at rediffmail.com
>> web : www.binabalakrishnan.com
>> skype: binacb
>>
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 12:12 AM, Todd Edelman <edelman at greenidea.eu>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Indian official calls German cars 'criminal'
>>> http://www.thelocal.de/national/20101112-31139.html
>>>
>>> India’s Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh attacked German automakers on
>>> Friday, saying driving big-engined luxury models from BMW and
>>> Mercedes-Benz in his country was “criminal.”
>>>
>>> Expressing his wish for better fuel efficiency in India, Ramesh said
>>> people should not be encouraged to buy vehicles such as powerful German
>>> luxury cars and gas-guzzling sport utility vehicles.
>>>
>>> “The luxurious growth of large-size vehicles like SUVs is really a
>>> growth of concern, use of vehicles like SUVs and BMW in countries like
>>> India is criminal,” he said at a UN function in New Delhi, according to
>>> news agency IANS.
>>>
>>> "I think we seriously need to think about fuel policy regime," he added,
>>> suggesting that these luxury models were still made because they run on
>>> subsidised diesel fuel, making the real beneficiaries the owners of
>>> "BMWs, the Benzs and Hondas," IANS reported.
>>>
>>> The country should levy extra fees and mandatory fuel efficiency
>>> standards on these cars, the minister suggested.
>>>
>>> "We cannot ask people to buy or not to buy a particular car. But through
>>> an effective fiscal policy, we can certainly have an impact," he said.
>>>
>>> A new committee on national transport plans to give recommendations for
>>> such a program in just over a year, he added.
>>>
>>> India’s auto market is among the fastest growing in the world,
>>> particularly in the luxury sector, with German carmakers expanding their
>>> operations there significantly in recent years

>>> 10967 Berlin