[sustran] Jakarta proposes more car free days

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Thu May 20 23:48:08 JST 2010

Source:
http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2010/05/20/city-proposes-more-car-free-da
ys.html

City proposes more car free days

The Jakarta Post | Thu, 05/20/2010 7:07 PM | Jakarta

Jakarta administration has proposed another car free day in addition to the
existing one every month, citing the public's positive response to the
emissions reduction policy.

Head of the city environmental agency Peni Susanti said Thursday her office
was arranging a new schedule for the car free day to be implemented on
Jakarta's thoroughfares Jl. Sudirman and Jl. MH Thamrin.

"We are drafting a new schedule to implement the car free day twice a month.
Hopefully we can realize the plan in June," Peni said as quoted by Antara.

Currently the car free day is held on the last Sunday of the month.

Governor Fauzi Bowo had previously asked the environmental agency to
increase the frequency of the car free day.

Peni said many people had benefited from the policy and requested for more
days with better quality air.

"Many families make full use of the car free day to improve harmony by doing
sports together in the car free zone, rather than shopping at malls," Peni
said.

Best/Eric

Eric Britton <http://www.britton.newmobility.org/>  | WorldStreets.org
<http://www.worldstreets.org/>  | NewMobility.org