[sustran] Re: Fwd: Re: Is park-and-ride a bad idea for Asian cities?

Ashok Sreenivas ashok.sreenivas at gmail.com
Tue May 18 17:36:24 JST 2010

Yes, FSI and TDR (transfer of development rights - where you're given rights
to develop land elsewhere in return for doing something with it here) are
commonly used tools in Maharashtra (including Pune, where I'm based). Though
the FSI route means that parking has now moved to private land, I find it
still has the following problems:

a) As stated, the additional FSI more than compensates the developer for the
land lost to parking. Hence he has no incentive to charge a fair price for
parking in his premises and is likely to only charge enough to recover his *
operational* expenses in terms of parking attendants etc. This defeats the
purpose of using fair parking prices as a TDM mechanism.

b) Perhaps an even bigger problem is that often the additional FSI is used
to build up commercial space which acts as a traffic attractor by itself and
therefore consumes all or most of the parking provided by the developer,
leaving little or nothing for park-and-ride. This, of course, defeats the
purpose of encouraging the car users to use transit. So, at the end, you've
just developed a new commercial space with ample parking for its visitors
next to the railway station with very little benefit for the transit service
itself. And the chuckling sound you hear is the developer laughing all the
way to the bank.

Ashok