[sustran] Is park-and-ride a bad idea for Asian cities?

Paul Barter paulbarter at nus.edu.sg
Thu May 13 12:51:21 JST 2010

My latest blog post asks this question:  Is park-and-ride a bad idea<http://reinventingtransport.blogspot.com/2010/05/is-park-and-ride-bad-idea.html>? - especially for dense parts of Asian cities

Is parking really the best use of space near high-capacity, high-frequency mass transit systems in high-density urban areas? Is this the best use of precious public funds? (especially public transport funds!)

See more at http://reinventingtransport.blogspot.com/2010/05/is-park-and-ride-bad-idea.html

I think planners and transport policy-makers should be much more sceptical of park-and-ride investments. This seems especially important in dense neighbourhoods.

I know this is not a new debate. But our recent parking study encountered so much enthusiasm for park-and-ride in so many cities that I think the issue needs to be revisited.

What do you think?  [Please respond to sustran-discuss or the comments on the blog, not just my private email. Let's have some public discussion on this.]

Paul

Paul A. Barter
http://www.spp.nus.edu.sg/Faculty_Paul_Barter.aspx
http://reinventingtransport.blogspot.com/