[sustran] The path to clean air (in the transport sector at least)

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Wed Mar 31 18:25:19 JST 2010

Dear friends and colleagues,

To my mind (see below) we are in the transport sector giving far too much
attention to clean autos, green autos, electric autos, hydrogen autos, clean
energy, new fuels, and in almost all cases in rhyme with the auto and energy
industries.  Is that what "sustainable mobility" (and clean air) is all
about? I seriously doubt it and would like to launch a high profile public
conversation on this topic.

Here is what we know for sure - and it's bullet proof! The most effective
way to clean air in the transport sector (and many other important things
that together make up the transition to truly sustainable transport (or at
least getting on the path to get there) is summarized in the right half of
this little  meta-equation which you will find introduced in a lecture by
Fred Salvucci, former Secretary of Transportation for the state of
Massachusetts and currently of the MIT Center for Transportation and
Logistics, which is available for you this morning at
http://newmobilityagenda.blogspot.com/2010/03/world-streets-worldwide-visiti
ng.html :

(Vehicle hours traveled, Vehicle miles travelled. # vehicles)

By this I am trying to plead for far more attention to "fixing the system"
as opposed to "fixing the auto". What is ironic (but understandable if you
take the time to dig deep enough) is that it is the left side of the
equation that is getting almost all the money and the attention.

This is a major strategic challenge and decision. It is important to show
what side we are on here. It is not that the 'fix the auto' business is to
be ignored. But to be put in its place. With the bulk of the attention and
the $$$ invested to the right.,

I shall try to provide my best statement of this in World Streets before the
end of the week.

I look forward very much to statements and arguments to the contrary. I want
to do my bit if not to reverse this significant strategic error, at least to
encourage more attention to it.

With all good wishes,

Eric Britton

Note: New Paris tel. +331 7550 3788 . Kindly change your records.

World Streets  .   <http://www.worldstreets.org/> www.worldstreets.org
Open Edition: www.open.worldstreets.org

8/10, rue Jospeh Bara  .  Paris 75006 France

+331 7550 3788  .   <mailto:eric.britton at newmobility.org>
eric.britton at newmobility.org  .  Skype newmobility

New Mobility Partnerships   .  <http://www.partners.newmobility.org>
www.partners.newmobility.org

9440 Readcrest Drive  .   Los Angeles, CA 90210

+1 213 984 1277 .   <mailto:fekbritton at gmail.org> fekbritton at gmail.org .
Skype ericbritton