[sustran] The Take It Down Department

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Tue Mar 30 01:09:18 JST 2010

 Robert Moskowitz, who follows matters of transportation and public policy
with interest from Los Angeles, and who periodically shares with World
Streets information, clues and comments on matters of old and new mobility,
poses the following for our consideration this morning:

"I've noticed there's a whole infrastructure in our cities in charge of
putting up stop signs, traffic lights, and the like, but no infrastructure
in charge of taking them down when they've outlived their usefulness. If I
were a traffic scientist, I would have studied and published on these
topics. But I had no standing and no time to have more than opinions."

Reflecting on Robert's suggestion, it seems obvious that there is no
possibility that any city or nation, or person for that matter, can have
even a chance of moving seriously toward sustainability, without
specifically reversing a lot of past decisions, investments, and physical
facts of everyday life.

So if that is true -- it is, isn't it? - it is something that presidents,
governors, mayors and anyone else in the political establishment should be
aware of and ready to engage. Anywhere on this planet.

Nest step: World Streets would very much like to do one or more articles on
anything that resembles a Take It Down Department that you might be able to
point us to. It would be a great contribution.

The Editor