[sustran] Re: Is carsharing irrelevant for the Global South?

Lee Schipper lschipper at wri.org
Sat Mar 27 12:13:19 JST 2010

I think the key issues are a bit different
1. What is the cost of getting a driver's license and insurance? Does
car sharing include insurance? IS it worth investing in the license ONLY
to use a car occasionally?
2. Or is car sharing just a kind of adaptation to car ownership, a
first, somewhat less expensive step.

The points made below about the cost of hiring a car/drive are well
taken.
Hidden in Cornie's point is a key reason that promotes car ownership --
free or almost free parking at work.  But in a society where having a
driver or taking a taxi is expensive, car ownership and a round trip to
work may still be cheap compared to other means, particularly of the
cost of ownership is now written off over 12 000 km/year.

So I'm worried that car sharing is an inexpensive way towards becoming a
car owner.

Lee