[sustran] Re: Is carsharing irrelevant for the Global South?

Karthik Rao Cavale krc12353 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 01:03:24 JST 2010

As for the ubiquitousness of vehicle-sharing in India, I have a personal
story to share. I lived in Navi Mumbai for six months before coming to the
United States for my Masters in Urban Planning. While I was there, I used to
learn vocal music from a great Indian classical musician called Ustad
Fariduddin Dagar <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zia_Fariddudin_Dagar>. His
Gurukul (traditionally, a place where students would go to stay with their
Gurus) was five kilometers away from the last station in the Mumbai suburban
railway system on the harbour line - Panvel. This
Gurukul<http://www.dagar.org/index.htm>was on the road to Palaspe,
still only a village, and the house itself was
in the middle of nowhere. The only way of commuting to his house was to take
a share-rickshaw that ferried people from Palaspe to Panvel station and
back.

So, every Sunday, I would wake up at 5 am so that I can reach before 8 am to
do my *riyaaz* in my Guru's presence (8 am was quite late in the day by the
standards of Indian Classical Music). From my house in Kharghar, I would
wait for a bus (or I would hire a three-wheeler if I were feeling rich that
day) to the train station. Then I would take the train to Panvel, after
which I would have to wait, often for half an hour, for the share-rickshaw
to fill up with passengers. By the time it was filled up, the auto would
look something like
this<http://www.thehindu.com/2009/12/28/images/2009122857850301.jpg>.
(And I've attached a map of my trip that can be opened on Google Earth) It
was a 16 km trip, but it would take me about two hours to complete.

Because I was male, and young, I would almost always have to share the front
seat with the driver. It was perhaps a little more thigh-contact than what I
had bargained for, and one did stand the risk of falling off when the
rickshaw made a steep turn. But I always tried to think in terms of systemic
failures, rather than in terms of personal grievances. I was not exactly
poor, and this was a discretionary trip (and I am ashamed to say that I did
forego this trip very often, risking my Guru's disapproval). But I tried to
think of others for whom the daily trip from Palaspe to Panvel was not a
discretionary trip and who were not as comfortably placed as I was.

The bus ride from my house to the station cost me 5 Rs. (10 cents) The train
ticket would be about 5 Rs. more, and the share auto would charge 7 Rs. for
a ride to the point where I got off. A total of 34 Rs for a round trip. If I
took an auto from home to the train station, I would spend 25 Rs. extra.
Additionally, if I took a "personal" auto from the Panvel station to my
Guru's house, I would spend 43 Rs. more. So, in total, even though I would
travel from Panvel to Kharghar by train, I would end up spending 170 Rs. I
was not poor, but even I couldn't afford that much money for one round trip.

So what am I saying?

The point I am trying to make is that Palaspe might never get sufficiently
populated to get train connectivity. But there is still going to be a great
deal of demand for shared vehicles which act as a feeder service to Panvel.
That demand already exists, and even though policymakers don't like the idea
of allowing vehicles that should ideally be off the roads because of their
emission-ratings,  that too with such a large number of passengers, one has
to think in terms of creating alternatives for them. We need to think
multi-modal. And we need to be creating solutions for places outside the
inner city, because mobility is a really large issue in the outer suburbs
and this barely gets addressed in sustainable transport circles, because we
continue obsessed with the inner cities.

I hope my story wasn't a drag.

karthik