[sustran] Re: Is carsharing irrelevant for the Global South?

Zvi Leve zvi.leve at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 23:15:14 JST 2010

I agree that 'taxis' and other 'professional' driver fleets are already
filling this roll to some extent, and this certainly could be developed
further to make such systems more efficient.

Another point which has not been mentioned (yet) is that car-sharing
presumes that people actually know how to drive a car (or a motorcycle, or
whatever vehicle it is that is being shared)! People surrounded by cars and
car-culture tend to assume that everyone knows how to drive, but this is not
necessarily the case. Learning to drive requires a significant investment of
time and resources in and of itself. Once the effort to learn how to drive
has been undertaken, one can assume that the person who has made such an
effort will have a strong incentive to make the additional investment to
acquire their own vehicle.

Which begs the question, is teaching people how to drive a good investment
of limited resources?

Interesting discussion....

Cheers,

Zvi