[sustran] How to build more traffic? It's not hard. Read on.

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Thu Mar 25 22:14:05 JST 2010

Freeways Responsible For Emptying Out Cities

A recent study shows that for every significant freeway that gets built in a major city, population declines by about 18%. Nathaniel Baum-Snow, author of the study, talks with Planetizen.

Nathaniel Baum-Snow is a professor of economics at Brown University. His research has been remarkable consistent and urban-centric since writing his dissertation in 2000 on "The Effects of New Public Projects to Expand Urban Rail Transit." Baum-Snow’s work came to our attention when he was cited in a recent Boston Globe article quoting his study that concluded that each new federally-funded highway passing through a central city "reduces its population by about 18 percent." The implication of this type of data-driven evidence of the effect of highway construction on cities is often hard to find, so we went to the source.

--> The full text of this article appears in today’s World Streets <http://newmobilityagenda.blogspot.com/>  at http://WorldStreets.org/

--> No broadband? No problem. Find it on the Open Edition at www.open.WorldStreets.org