[sustran] Re: Is carsharing irrelevant for the Global South?

Sarath Guttikunda sguttikunda at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 21:08:51 JST 2010

to the car-less list.

I do not own a car and use the autorickshaws, bus, or rent-a-car, depending
on how many meetings I have and the accessibility of transport at various
locations. This saves me time from looking for parking, sitting behind the
wheel in congestion cursing the driver ahead of me, honking non-stop in hope
that the sound energy will some how transform the congested roads to lift
the cars into the air, and gives me time to read the papers.

Then, there was a statement last week by the Delhi Chief Minister, to ban
the Autorickshaws.

Is this good for promoting car-sharing?

Yes, the autorickshaw drivers can be annoying and at times, hard to bargain
with. Nevertheless, once in the routine and have an idea of the distances
and prices, one learns to bargains.

I am not talking from the perspective of the drivers and their incomes, but
from the mobility perspective. Yes, the autorickshaws move slower than the
regular-new-model-cars-and-suvs. But, they move people as much as the cars.
Without providing an adequate alternative, like at least doubling of the
public transport system, this is a sorry move.

Same goes for the car-sharing or taxis in the city. Too few.

Even after the metro becomes operational in Delhi, the role of autorickshaws
will garner a more prominent role in shuttling passengers between stations
to the residential and commercial neighborhoods. For example, take a look at
the two wheeler service in Bangkok at the sky train stations. Even, in
Mumbai, the concept of the shared taxis at the subway stations. An effective
service for the public, especially for the short trips, and an integrated
multi-modal transport system.

With regards,
Sarath

--