[sustran] Re: Pedestrian overpasses

Walter Hook whook at itdp.org
Mon Mar 15 23:44:02 JST 2010

we've been asked to advise on this issue in many cities and under many
contexts.  I believe that some basic general principals can be followed but
also a gut feeling is usually to be trusted.  People can normally cross two
lanes of reasonably high speed traffic reasonably easily but not three or
more if they are not at a traffic signal that is going to be respected.
 even two lanes are hard if the average speeds are very high, but as a rule
of thumb, i would say two lanes of mixed traffic, at grade, and three lanes
of mixed traffic probably a flyover is better.

w.

--

Walter Hook
Executive Director

Promoting sustainable and equitable transportation worldwide.