[sustran] What to do with 900 bikes?

Carlosfelipe Pardo carlosfpardo at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 10:43:25 JST 2010

Hi,

I have a practical problem: Bogotá's traffic police have taken away
bicycles from people not wearing helmets, and getting them back costs
more than the actual cost of the bike. In consequence, there are a
couple of yards with some 900 bikes sitting there for the last 10
years. This week a judge has told a local organization that they are
willing to "donate them" for a noble cause, but that they must be
taken from the yards before this Friday. They are getting a warehouse
to store them at least from Friday and during some weeks, but now the
questions are:
- Will they be at all useful (imagine, bikes that have been in the
open and under rain, sun, etc for up to 10 years...)?
- If they're not useful as fully-functional bikes, what can they be
used for? Some people have said they should do a sculpture, do various
sculptures and do an auction with those sculptures, turn them into
blocks of scrap metal...

Now my question to all of you is: what would you do with 900
used-disfunctional bicycles? (of course, imagine you have very limited
amounts of money to do something).

Best regards,

--
Carlosfelipe Pardo