[sustran] Re: Transport governance is also one such area which is notwell-researched.

Carlosfelipe Pardo carlosfpardo at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 04:14:53 JST 2010

On the individual side, laziness can also be a factor... just wanting to
keep the status quo because they know that changing it implies a
significant increase in their workload makes Transport Secretaries do
their best at arguing why they won't do the right thing. Once Peñalosa
told me that he had started TransMilenio in Bogotá on the Caracas avenue
because that was the most difficult trunk line to convert and nobody
else would have the guts to do it... I guess the exact opposite is what
most policymakers and municipal transport staff feel...

There are two other factors:
- Citizens are generally very basic in their evaluations of a
policymaker's mandate.
- Citizens are generally too selfish to prefer the general to their
individual wellbeing.

Thus, they only want to see new roads and big tunnels or bridges but
never higher charges for car use... so ordinary politicians will do
their best to buy toys for the city and then show everyone what they
"achieved"... i.e. they will always prefer the sexy train or the wide
road rather than the parking pricing policy, public transport
restructuring or responsible maintenance of the existing infrastructure.

Best regards,

Carlosfelipe Pardo