[sustran] Public Transport VS JNNURM in India

Vinay Baindur yanivbin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 03:52:24 JST 2010

In my view Eric and friends the statement is more about Urban oneupmanship
politics and the world bank loans for India.

The role of the ministry (MoUD) he is in charge of has been
drastically diminished by the lack of funds for states

Over Rs. 55,000 crores of central funds have been committed and there is a
conspicuous lack of progress. So the Planning commission and Finance
Minsitry said they are not in favour of a large US $ 5 billion loan from the
World Bank ( in Nov09) and they wont fund another 28 smaller towns for what
is called as JNNURM + or JNNURM -II

So with this being the background the SUTP a small loan from the World Bank
is trying to leverage the funds of various Indian states for its objectives.

So while the additional new buses from JNNURM were fiscal stimulus against
the global depression (through sales of LCVs) there seems to be no financial
stimulus in sight for the Ministry to keep its head above water for another
year when it may get more funds to disburse to states.

So the SUTP is the only way to keep themselves in the news something they
crave for .

what do you all feel about this?

Vinay