[sustran] Transport governance is also one such area which is not well-researched.

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Wed Jun 16 00:06:59 JST 2010

Original subject here: JAIPAL REDDY URGES STATES TO PROMOTE PUBLIC TRANSPORT

This discussion is all pretty depressing. But might we make something of it?
What about this as a group thinking exercise?  By the numbers:

1.     Let's for the moment pretend that the only world there is is the
Global South. (We can leave the stupidity, incompetence and meanness of mind
of the ROW aside for the moment.)

2.     And let's pretend that some huge proportion of the time that their
transport policies and practices are truly misguided  and as close as one
might imagine to unsustainable, unfair - and we are speaking here of the
reality of these policies, not their rhetoric.

3.     And since we are at it, let's also suppose that there are policies
and approaches which are known, proven, affordable (i.e., the 2010
sustainable transport reality) that they could be putting into service. But
they are not doing it.

4.     Now my question to the group. Are those responsible for taking the
decisions not taking advantage of all that we have learned over these last
two decades and could be doing in the interest of sustainability, justice
and efficiency, because they are . . .

1.     ___________:  Ignorant (They simply do not know)

2.     ___________:  Stupid (But even if they did, they are not smart enough
to figure it out)

3.     ___________:  Incompetent (Not up to the challenges)

4.     ___________:  Weak (They know what they should be doing but do not
have the courage to take on the powerful interests that find the current
arrangements pretty much to their taste)

5.     ___________:  On the take (I.e., are profiting from following the
path present policies and investments, so why change?)

6.     ___________:  Hypocritical (Are culturally shaped so that they feel
no discomfort by saying one thing while doing quite another)

7.     ___________:  Elitist (Find it perfectly natural that the lower
classes should have lower lives)

8.     ___________:  Perverted (Possibly even take pleasure in the suffering
of others.)

9.     ___________:  Other (please explain)

5.     Check one or more and comment as you please.

Now my personal guess is that there is a fair amount of 1, 2, and 3 flying
around. That there are healthy doses of 5, 6, and 7. And I would hope that
there is little of 8.

Is this a fair picture? And if so, once we have it in our sights can it help
us figure out what to do next?

I look forward with interest to comments and clues.

Eric Britton | WorldStreets.org | NewMobility.org  |
www.facebook.WorldStreets.org

8, rue Joseph Bara.  75006 Paris France  |  +331 7550 3788  |  Skype:
newmobility