[sustran] Re: Sutainable Urban Accessibility

Christopher Zegras czegras at exchange.mit.edu
Thu Jun 10 22:47:33 JST 2010

For those interested in further exploration of the sustainable
accessibility concept, at this link you can find an examination of
empirical and theoretical issues:

http://web.mit.edu/czegras/www/Zegras_DraftChapter13_Final.pdf
(draft chapter for an upcoming edited volume on transport in developing
countries)

Kind regards,  Chris Zegras

On 6/10/2010 9:31 AM, Erica Schlaikjer wrote:
> More on the ³access paradigm² that Morten Lange brings up....
>
> TheCityFix recently wrote two posts about "sustainable accessibility" that
> this group might find interesting:
>
> "Avoiding Environmental Disaster through Sustainable Accessibility"
> http://thecityfix.com/avoiding-environmental-disaster-through-sustainable-ac
> cessibility/
>

>> This lecture by Dr. John Sterman<http://jsterman.scripts.mit.edu/>, part
>> of MIT¹s series of seminars about transportation
>> <http://mitworld.mit.edu/series/view/156>  , provides a great introduction to
>> the concept of accessibility as an alternative way to consider transportation
>> system design.
>>
>> To design a sustainable and successful accessibility system, Sterman says, we
>> need research across areas, including technical innovation; policy and
>> business practices (i.e. new business models, policies, economic issues, price
>> externalities that are currently not priced at all); and human  behavior (i.e.
>> taking full account of idiosyncrasies and irrational aspects of  human
>> behavior). All of this must be integrated.
>>

> ³Manifesto for Urban Accessibility in India²
> http://thecityfix.com/manifesto-for-urban-accessibility-in-india/
>

>> Sudhir Chella Rajan<http://in.linkedin.com/pub/sudhir-chella-rajan/2/282/b05>
>> , a professor of Humanities and Social Sciences at the Indian Institute of
>> Technology-Madras and Coordinator of their Indo-German Centre for
>> Sustainability, recently published a fantastic overview
>> <http://casi.ssc.upenn.edu/comment/reply/721#comment-form>   of sustainable
>> accessibility in the Indian context but with global implications. He talks
>> about how a focus on accessibility improves life not only for the poor but
>> also for all urbanites, and his article highlights issues in India that got me
>> interested in this side of sustainable mobility.
>>

> On 6/10/10 6:44 AM, "Morten Lange"<morten7an at yahoo.com>  wrote:
>

>> Dear Vinay, Good article ! One comment that pops to mind is that some people
>> talk of access, rather than mobility.  For instance that would include
>> improved access to services / shops by decentralising them. This can be done
>> e.g. by urban planning including financial incentives that will influence
>> where services are located. This as an addition to improving access for more
>> effective and equitable modes. So access is improved not only by improving how
>> many people get move about per /hour / per square-kilometer / per million
>> dollar or Lakh /per unit of health or pollution. The "Access-paradigm" also
>> inherently takes into account the needs of different segments of the
>> populations. That is, the access-paradigm as I have perceived it. I might be
>> out on a limb here, but take my chances, in order to get the opportunity to
>> learn and discuss. -- Regards / Kvedja Morten Lange, Reykjavík --- On Sat,
>> 5/6/10, Vinay Baindur<yanivbin at gmail.com>  wrote:>  From: Vinay Baindur
> [...]

P. Christopher Zegras
Ford Career Development Asst. Professor, Urban Planning&  Transportation
Dept. of Urban Studies&  Planning | Massachusetts Institute of Tech.
77 Massachusetts Avenue, Room 10-403 | Cambridge, MA 02139
Tel: 617 452 2433 | Fax: 617 258 8081 | czegras at mit.edu
http://web.mit.edu/czegras/www/Zegras.htm

Office Hours (Spring 10): Tues.&  Th., 2:30-4:00 PM
Sign up at https://dusp.mit.edu/pg/resources/p.lasso?t=1:3:0
(must have MIT Certificates)