[sustran] Re: Cities need mobility, not cars

Todd Edelman edelman at greenidea.eu
Thu Jun 10 22:52:11 JST 2010

Hi Morten, Hi all,

Ahhh... language and meaning and intention...

This particular idea has come up numerous times amongst various people
involved with Carbusters and World Carfree Network, and Eric Britton has
made it clear that he thinks - paraphrasing here - that density,
decentralisation and related is a necessary pre-condition for "New
Mobility".

Also - getting into one important part of it - I have tried to re-define
a "car" as an inappropriately-utilized automobile and an "automobile"
has a rubber-tyred, unguided road vehicle with capacity of 12 persons or
less. (This does not generally mean that "carshare" vehicles are cars,
of course -- especially if enabled by my attempt at a refined definition
within the urban milieu, you consider "cars" as heroin and "carshare" as
methadone). I have created this definition because it seems simpler than
"appropriately-utilized car" or similar or much more wordy and the
reverse of it. "Car" is in this case not a technical term, but
"automobile" is. "Car" is marketing, emotion, it is informal.
"Automobile" - and its supporting infrastructure - is a possible
solution. You /grok/*?

So... back to what Morten's suggestion: He is exactly right. And seated
at the base of the tree to which he refers, rather than precariously
situated elsewhere. (Perhaps a more Icelandic metaphor would substitute
"ashcloud" and "earth's burning liquid core").

Mobility is a sub-category of Access.

- T

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grok

Todd Edelman