[sustran] Re: Sutainable Urban Accessibility

Erica Schlaikjer eschlaikjer at wri.org
Thu Jun 10 22:31:56 JST 2010

More on the ³access paradigm² that Morten Lange brings up....

TheCityFix recently wrote two posts about "sustainable accessibility" that
this group might find interesting:

"Avoiding Environmental Disaster through Sustainable Accessibility"
http://thecityfix.com/avoiding-environmental-disaster-through-sustainable-ac
cessibility/

> This lecture by Dr. John Sterman <http://jsterman.scripts.mit.edu/>, part
> of MIT¹s series of seminars about transportation
> <http://mitworld.mit.edu/series/view/156> , provides a great introduction to
> the concept of accessibility as an alternative way to consider transportation
> system design.
>
> To design a sustainable and successful accessibility system, Sterman says, we
> need research across areas, including technical innovation; policy and
> business practices (i.e. new business models, policies, economic issues, price
> externalities that are currently not priced at all); and human  behavior (i.e.
> taking full account of idiosyncrasies and irrational aspects of  human
> behavior). All of this must be integrated.

³Manifesto for Urban Accessibility in India²
http://thecityfix.com/manifesto-for-urban-accessibility-in-india/

--
Erica Schlaikjer
Media Relations and Online Engagement Coordinator
Email: eschlaikjer at wri.org
Website: www.EMBARQ.org
Blog: www.TheCityFix.com

Follow me: