[sustran] Re: Pelicans and puffings - thanks!

Zvi Leve zvi.leve at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 01:35:01 JST 2010

When considering the traffic and pedestrian situation in India and many
other rapidly motorizing places, it is worth recalling the little known
history of how similar events played out in North America almost a century
ago. There is an excellent book by Peter Norton called 'Fighting Traffic:
The Dawn of the Motor Age in the American
City<http://www.amazon.com/Fighting-Traffic-American-Inside-Technology/product-reviews/0262141000/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1>'
which documents this struggle quite extensively.

Ironically, it was the push for pedestrian safety which eventually led to a
shift in attitudes about 'uncontrolled' pedestrian circulation, and to paved
the way to the acceptance that 'roads are for cars'.

Will history repeat itself?

Zvi