[sustran] Re: Why Free Public Transport is a BAD idea? - Comments

Todd Edelman edelman at greenidea.eu
Fri Jul 9 22:07:52 JST 2010

Hi,

Implementing fare-free use of collective or individual public transport
is quite context-specific. There are many current metro systems in the
U.S, Europe etc. which could not handle the extra burden without massive
investment and/or shift to home working, bicycles and so on.... but then
again many public bicycle systems are nearly fare-free as a way to
promote cycling, so why not the same for public transport systems which
are new or have the capacity? The 30min fare-free model for public bikes
can be inspiration for further fare-free travel using collective means,
but of course only in dense urban areas. (I am not advocating for fare
income to made up by advertising deals).

Bottom line, public transport provision is a major part of any developed
or developing economy, and it seems unfair or silly to look for some/too
much fare income there whilst huge amounts of money are spent on areas
outside the mobility or urban livability sectors, such as on military
arms. Can we please make sure that the question to ask here is not
"Buses or bikepaths?" but "Buses or bombs?"

- T

--

Todd Edelman
Green Idea Factory,