[sustran] Re: monorails and other low capacity systems

Lee Schipper schipper at wri.org
Mon Feb 1 23:43:50 JST 2010

>From Ramon..

________________________________

From: Ramon Munoz-Raskin [mailto:ramon.cmr at gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, February 01, 2010 4:31 AM
To: Lee Schipper
Cc: Sujit Patwardhan; bruun at seas.upenn.edu;
sustran-discuss at list.jca.apc.org
Subject: Re: [sustran] Re: monorails and other low capacity systems

Briefly: The Medellin aerial cable car is part of an integrated
transportation system approach. The system was created to provide
accessibility enhancements to deprived communities that had informally
developed in geographically constrainted locations (e.g. sides of a
steep valley) where higher capacity systems such as large, ferquent
pattern bus services would either not fit (narrow curvy streets) or
would not be able to climb up there (to steep slopes), among other
reasons. In my several visits to Medellin during the last few years I
have understood well how this system is succesful there for daily
regular commuting of these low-income communities. Capacities are
competitive with bus services. Something worth mentioning as well is the
"democratization" and urban renovation that is associated with an aerial
cable car stop- these areas flourish. Tourism is marginal, but the city
is very proud about it and, therefore, it is definitely promoted as a
tourist attraction.

Ramon Munoz-Raskin