[sustran] Re: government is planning to restrict the movement of privatecars in Dhaka to reduce nagging traffic jam.

SAM Aminul Hoque sam_aminul at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 24 10:23:40 JST 2010

Dhaka city has its "own brain". Many transport system would not survive in most
of the other parts of the world but for Dhaka they are in operations. Traffic
are running there in a Mix traffic situation. Within Dhaka, the number of
transport mode in operation are not straight -like A) Bicycle & motorcycle, B)
Car, C) bus, D) Goods vehicle light & heavy E) Rail

(small occupancy -1to2 +/-persons)
1 Bicycle
2 Non-motorized (rickshaw three wheelers)
3 car, jeep, 4x4
4 Private taxi
5 Motor cycle

(medium occupancy -10 +/-persons)
6 Auto-rickshaw (Mishuk, CNG, etc.) --like private taxi (mostly three-wheels)
7 Tempo (8-10 passengers) vehicle mostly either three or four wheels

large occupancy -40-90+/- persons
8 single decker bus both Air-conditioned (AC) and non-AC,
9 double decker bus
10 Mini /midi bus both Air-conditioned (AC) and non-AC

Cargo & Goods
11 Non-motorized vehicle
12 Motorized Van & pick-ups
13 Medium and large Truck (HGV)

14 Plus Train (mostly inter-city travel

There might be more.

To me the subject above (on the subject of the mail) - I might be wrong
but sounds like vocal 'stunt' or News media 'stunt'.

I fully agree with most of the authors about the demand for the new large scale
investment on Transport infra-structures as well as the supply chain logistics.
The critical thing is to have 'sound' and 'stable' transport policy mostly
involving Regulation and Bangladesh Road Transport Authority's willingness to
implement that. How the City Authority would like to see the city in coming
years is a big question to all of us!

Making a comment is easy but in practice for Dhaka (with strong pressure groups
both political and business side in place) it is not easy to implement (agree
with Lloyd Wright & Jonathan). We are waiting to see few mega transport projects
within Dhaka and around in the pipe-line. For these pipe-line projects please
contact,  Web: www.at-capital.com

I am hopeful to see better future within next five yrs.

Take care.

With kind regards,

SHAMSUL A. M. AMINUL HOQUE (PhD, M URP, B Arch)
Consultant Transport Planner for private company, UK