[sustran] Re: government is planning to restrict the movement of privatecars in Dhaka to reduce nagging traffic jam.

Jonathan Richmond richmond at alum.mit.edu
Wed Dec 22 13:49:39 JST 2010

I also read the story in today's newspaper. Please note, however, that any
attempt to restrict car movement in Dhaka's central city will require a
consensus throughout government and complex legal and administrative
procedures.

Regarding the buses, I have been developing BRT and general bus
reorganization programmes here to try to radically improve service
levels. However, now that consultants have been selected for a major
BRT implementation study, the government has decided not to extend my
contract -- hence my recent note to some of you to ask if any of you have
ideas for my next assignment!

General bus purchases are necessary because Dhaka's bus fleet is in almost
unbelievably poor condition. In fact, nowhere in the world have I seen
buses that are quite so dilapidated. The buses are driven dangerously and
there is very little maintenance. So getting something new is a start.
However, work needs to be done to find ways to encourage the industry to
maintain its fleet in better condition. There are financial and
organizational constraints to accomplishing this, and they need to be
overcome.

Best regards,

                           --Jonathan

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010, Lee Schipper wrote:

> Good news indeed but just buses without dedicated lanes? Who can move under those conditions?
>
> Lee Schipper
> Global Met Studies  UC Berkeley
> Precourt En Eff Center Stanford
>

> On Dec 21, 2010, at 17:37, "Syed Saiful Alam" <shovan1209 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>> Dear all Good news for all our activist that  The government of Bangladesh is planning to restrict the movement of private cars in Dhaka to reduce nagging traffic jam.
>> "Private cars with less than four or five passengers will not be allowed to ply the city streets," finance minister Abul Maal Abdul Muhith told reporters at the secretariat on Tuesday.
>>
>> "We'll have to make public transport system more efficient for the people," he said.
>>
>> He said they had approved a proposal to buy 255 buses to make the public transport system more effective. "Public transport should be meant for public but now a few people are creating anarchy in the field."
>>
>> The minister said: "Traffic jam is the biggest allegation against the government.
>>
>> The cabinet committee on purchase has approved the proposal to buy 255 Korean buses for BRTC under EDCF loan of Tk 2.12 billion.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Syed Saiful alam
>> shovan1209 at yahoo.com
>> +8801552442814
>> Are private cars the ideal transport? www.dhaka-rickshaw.blogspot.com

> SUSTRAN-DISCUSS is a forum devoted to discussion of people-centred, equitable and sustainable transport with a focus on developing countries (the 'Global South').

-----
Jonathan Richmond
Public Transport Advisor
Dhaka Transport Coordination Board