[sustran] TISA - Transport International Sustainability Assessment

eric britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Fri Dec 17 00:24:37 JST 2010

Idea: Start with a simple carsharing index to show the way for the rest

I hope you may have  had a chance to read my note to the group of Monday on
TISA - If not you can find it on
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WorldCarShare/message/3347  Here is the idea
that I'd like to see if you might lend a hand with.

Basically we would like to make the first index in this program a very
simple one, that is predicated on the base of the simple possibility that
the more carsharing you have in a country, the closer you are likely to be
to moving toward a more sustainable transport system for day to day
transportation.  (there will be plenty of opportunity to argue that once we
have some background to work with.)

I don't see this as being a big deal or a whole lot of work, especially
since the people of good will who belong to this excellent free group can
pitch in with the help of a simple email.  Here are the indexes that we
would like to ask for your country at your first convenience:

1.     Number of carshare vehicles in operation in country
2.     Number of registered cars
3.     Number of registered carshare users (can be played off against
national population or, if it exists, registered drivers/licenses)
4.     And if at all possible, recent time series data as available on the
above so that we can get a feel for the trends.

It's that simple at this point. If you can help on this and you are
interested in expanding the role of carsharing  in your city or country, I
am sure you will be well served by the final results. Please send on your
data to me as you prefer: to the group as a whole, or to me privately via
eric.britton at newmobility.org. (The nice thing about sending it to the group
is that this may encourage the others to chip in and do their part.)

Then once I have let's say a couple of dozen sets of pretty solid figures, I
can take a first cut at this first index, and write up in draft my
introduction and

Thanks/ /Eric Britton

PS. I do not want to stifle the imagination of this expert community, so if
you have other proposals, cautions, or index materials that we can introduce
into our new index, well that would be great. In any event, the objective of
all our collaborative work is that the final results will exceed the ideas,
inspirations and hopes of the person who set the idea in process.

After carsharing: We intend to have a go at seeing if we can get some solid
no-bull indicators on car use, gas prices and trends, traffic accidents,
taxis, biking, PBS, ridesharing (may be hard), BRT . . . and the long list
goes on. One thing at a time.

PISA references:
OECD PISA home page - TISA
http://www.oecd.org/pages/0,3417,en_32252351_32235731_1_1_1_1_1,00.html
Wikipedia entry: -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programme_for_International_Student_Assessment
Your country's performance and reactions - Pop OECD PISA 2009" into Google
and then search your country

cid:image001.png at 01CB9D38.2648DD70