[sustran] Transport, Environment And Public Policy In Hard Times + Grading Sustainable Transport:

eric britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Tue Dec 14 23:22:07 JST 2010

Here are two recent articles in World Streets that may interest some of you
here at Sustran:

TRANSPORT, ENVIRONMENT AND PUBLIC POLICY IN HARD TIMES We have no money
gentlemen, so we shall have to think. - Ernest Rutherford, on taking over
the Caversham Laboratory in 1919

On 2 December the managing editor of World Streets, Eric Britton, was
invited by the organizers of the National Autumn Conference of ACT
TravelWise to present the keynote address, following an opening presentation
by Norman Baker, MP and Parliamentary Undersecretary of State for Transport
of the just-elected UK coalition government. The theme of the conference was
“The Right to Travel – Getting more for less” — and Britton was asked to
bring in some international perspectives and possibly some less familiar
ideas for the largely British audience after the Minister’s presentation . .
.
Click here for more:
http://worldstreets.wordpress.com/2010/12/10/transport-environment-and-publi
c-policy-in-hard-times/

GRADING SUSTAINABLE TRANSPORT: SCHOLARSHIP A. LEADERSHIP C- One of the often
voiced claims of World Streets is that those who best understand the issues
and priorities behind sustainable transport and sustainable cities are
failing to command the high ground in the debate and the politics of
decision simply because we are just not good enough at communicating our
ideas, first to each other and then to the world. All too often when
confronted with a decision issue, with our strong academic orientation and
backgrounds, we prefer to turn to the familiar world of more research,
fatter reports and that next great conference, while at the end of the day
what we really need is a concise, credible, understandable presentation of
our best ideas and the choices that need to be made . .  Click here for
more:
http://worldstreets.wordpress.com/2010/12/14/grading-sustainable-transport-s
cholarship-a-leadership-c/