[sustran] IRF says misinterpretation in HT Story on cycle tracks

eric britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Mon Dec 13 16:58:10 JST 2010

Dear Anvita and all,

In all your good letter Anvita what strikes me above all is your sentence
"reporters mostly suffer from problems of attention deficit".

Which suggests to me that the media and the public need reliable, balanced
and concise help from informed planners and others who do not suffer from
this disorder of the extreme time pressures under which they work -- and who
are capable of providing short honest syntheses of all our long reports and
necessary technical documents and debates behind the projects and policies.
This balanced interpretive work is pure gold, but it is a step for which by
and large we are not perfectly geared today. Our challenge really.  (In fact
this is one of the things that we are really trying to do with both World
Streets and India Streets, but the only way we can do this well and
sufficiently is to have our smart colleagues coming in and lending a hand
from time to time.)

But let me close by seconding your great closing message, I.e., the
importance of demanding cycle "facility" on all roads. (I use the singular
because to my ear it seems to suggest not that we necessarily create space
for physical separation but also ensure the even more important step of
having traffic that is by the street's actual architecture slowed down a
safe cycling pace."

Finally, a thought as to how busy reporters and editors take this kind of
ruckus when something screws up as in this case. My guess is that their skin
is far too thick to be much impressed by normal communications on the
subject. More powerful medicine  is probably needed.

Best/Eric

------