[sustran] Re: Fwd: Shocking - IRF Lobbying against removing cycle tracksin Delhi

Madhav Badami, Prof. madhav.g.badami at mcgill.ca
Sat Dec 11 13:35:49 JST 2010

Greetings all,

It is a tragic irony that, while in cities like Montreal, where I work, in which the overwhelming majority own cars, there is a conscious effort to expand the cycling network, including dedicated cycle lanes, and one cannot make a free right turn on red out of concern for pedestrian safety, we are dismantling cycling -- and worse -- pedestrian infrastructure, in India, where a significant proportion of the population, even if not the majority, are (despite our illusions of being an "emerged power") poor and cannot not own motor vehicles, and whose access to livelihoods and essential services are increasingly compromised thanks to an unthinking (and grotesque) privileging, in urban planning, of the minority who own and use them.

As for the press -- it needs to take a good hard look at itself, in India as much as in the West.

Madhav

"As for the future, your task is not to foresee, but to enable it." -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Madhav G. Badami, PhD
School of Urban Planning and McGill School of Environment
McGill University

Macdonald-Harrington Building
815 Sherbrooke Street West
Montreal, QC, H3A 2K6, Canada