[sustran] IRF Lobbying against removing cycle tracks in Delhi- Shocking

Asija, Navdeep navdeep.asija at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 20:07:51 JST 2010

Dear IRF People,

Today, we were shocked to read this news related to cycle tracks in Delhi.
After CW games, Delhi got many cycle tracks, which is anyways facilitating
12% of the cycle users of Delhi. Delhi Car population is just 14% but seems
International Road Federation is also lobbying against removing cycle
tracks. In 2007, 2008, more than 80% people who died on Delhi's road were
cyclist and pedestrian. Whole world is talking about pedestrian and cyclist
safety. IRF Chairperson move towards removing cycle track and supporting the
same with non-fact based information is really shocking for all of us.
Looking forward your justification on the same and how such big organisation
can give such irresponsible statement.

KK Kapila, chairman, International Road Federation, a non-governmental
> organisation said: “Removal of cycle tracks from busy roads will actually
> reduce road accidents. Separating cyclists from other motorised commuters on
> such roads is dangerous.”

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Cycle-tracks-may-be-on-the-way-out/Article1-636148.aspx

<http://www.hindustantimes.com/Cycle-tracks-may-be-on-the-way-out/Article1-636148.aspx>
====
Cycle tracks may be on the way out

Commuting on Delhi’s traffic-laden roads may soon become easier, with
newly-built cycle tracks on stretches such as Bhishma Pitamah Road, Shyama
Prasad Mukherjee Marg and Chandni Chowk, among others, expected to be on the
way out. The move comes after constant pressure from the Delhi traffic
police
  and thousands of road users that made the Unified Traffic and
Transportation Infrastructure (Planning and Engineering) Centre (UTTIPEC)
decide on a lasting solution to the

problem.

“We felt that there is no need for cycle tracks on roads that are 30 metres
wide. On narrow roads, the volume of traffic is heavy and its speed slow.
Separate cycle tracks on these stretches actually increase the chance of
accidents and lead to traffic congestion,” said a senior officer of UTTIPEC.

According to Paromita Roy, senior consultant, UTTIPEC, “We will place our
proposal before the governing body meeting on January 7; it will be
implemented after taking the consent of all stakeholders.”

KK Kapila, chairman, International Road Federation, a non-governmental
organisation said: “Removal of cycle tracks from busy roads will actually
reduce road accidents. Separating cyclists from other motorised commuters on
such roads is dangerous.”

A number of cycle tracks (CTs) were built in Delhi before the Commonwealth
Games.

However, many of them have remained unused and according to traffic police
officials, they have only made the task of traffic cops tougher.

“Many cycle tracks have actually reduced road space and resulted in severe
traffic hazards. The reduced road width causes congestions,” said Ajay
Chadha, special commissioner of police (administration and traffic) said.

CTs were built on several roads, including the stretch between Vikas Marg
and Karkardooma, Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Marg, the existing BRT corridor
from Ambedkar Nagar to Delhi Gate, Geeta Colony Flyover, Bhishma Pitamah
Marg, Ring Road, Netaji Subhash Marg, Mall Road and Chandni Chowk.

“It takes around 30 minutes to travel a kilometre due to CTs at Netaji
Subhash  Marg and SP Mukherjee Marg,” said Sanjay Bhargava, president,
Chandni Chowk Sarv Vyapar Mandal.