[sustran] "Come argue with me" (but stick to the point please)

eric britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Wed Dec 8 18:33:16 JST 2010

-- on the central importance of finding ways to achieve near term reductions
of motor vehicle traffic (VKT/VMT) as the primary policy tool for taking
pressure from the transport sector off the planet in the next two to five
years, we are receiving a number of postings about new technology car
proposals, all of them interesting in themselves.. However given our tight
time horizon for massive results they are not within the scope of this
discussion. So if you wish to follow them may I suggest that you get in
touch directly with the authors as follows:

.         Palle Palle R Jensen <http://www.ruf.dk>  ruf at ruf.dk

.         Jerry Roane jerry.roane at gmail.com  http://TriTrack.net

.         Brad Templeton -world-streets at em.4brad.com  robocars.com

More generally what strikes me is the extent to which some of these comments
jump way beyond the single strategic tenet of my article, namely that we
need to find ways to reduce the quantum of motorized traffic - and always
with the caveat of (a) not undermining the economy and (b) life quality for
all. I particularly like the common-sensical way that France B sums up the
strategic basics in her commentary of yesterday.

I have not yet made any statements about the means in which these reductions
can be achieved. There is not only no mention of trains, and certainly not
"tactics calculated to force people onto trains".

So if we can stick to the point in these comments here, and in a few days
give me a shot at the "how tos" at which point you can arm your bows and let
go.

Eric Britton

PS. Let me pick out however the closing words of Bruce just above when he
says: "increasing the efficiency of car travel (and this could include
robocars), reducing actual travel by increasing virtual travel (video
conferencing, etc.), increasing the walkability and cyclability of cities."
While our time frame does not allow for the robocars bit, all the rest is
pure gold.  Thank you Bruce.