[sustran] Re: Funding of Pedestrian Infrastructure

Kanthi Kannan kanthikannan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 16:29:50 JST 2010

Dear all

Greetings!!

While all of us know that pedestrian infrastructure is not constructed /
badly maintained because of lack of interest and not because of lack of
funds. However government officials keep talking about the issue of funds
and readily blame the issue on funds.

Earlier we used to try to get an answer from the authorities as to what is
happening to the funds or try to get them to answer regarding how a flyover
gets constructed but footpaths do not and so on ..

But we have realised that there are no clear answers and our pedestrian
infrastructure remains terrible to say the least.

One idea of funding is as follows

Like the Metro Rail in Hyderabad is getting about 269 acres of land and also
about 2000 Crores as Viability Gap Funding, why cannot the government form a
pedestrian infrastructure company? This company will call for tenders and
also ensure that it has a number of experts on the panel who will ensure
that the pedestrian infrastructure will be made with its complete picture
(space for utilities, hawkers etc)

Your Thoughts are MOST NEEDED and MOST WELCOME

Thanks

Kanthi