[sustran] Re: Sustran-discuss Digest, Vol 74, Issue 10

Joachim Bergerhoff agimjo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 23:18:59 JST 2009

(sorry for the post that went out unfinished)

Dear Hassaan,

we are all discussing from our own "home" perspective, exposing more the
differences between these situations than fundamental differences in
approach. I hope this is useful for you and look forward to reading your
reactions.

Eric, I am not suggesting to wait until conditions are right, but to make
them right asap. Let me give the practical example of the developing country
I am working in. It has a car ownership of around 10% and a regional bus
system with fairly good service, running between the principal cities every
15 minutes. The system is regulated by the state who sells concessions by
the slot. It is operated by a host of private companies. Most of them don't
have more than 5 vehicles and they all just break even. There also is an
informal market outside the regulated hours and lines or even in competition
with them. The situation is unstable as falling ridership threatens to make
break even impossible. What should be done ?  One consultant proposed to
reduce the scheduled service as to adapt it to shrinking demand, crack down
on informal (illegal) competition, and pay a subsidy to the operators so
they can bus new vehicles.  At the same time, the country's principal
investments go into enlarging roads to 2x2 or more.  Well, with this policy,
ever fewer clients will ride in ever nicer looking buses, while the whole
system goes down the drain of car dependency and huge private and public
deficits for car and petrol imports.  The buses are losing passengers
because they do not provide competitive service in three respects: access,
speed and flexibility.  The informal sector is a good complement in regard
to flexibility and it keeps the fares in check.  Speed is a shared
responsibility of operators and authorities.  More modern buses could
operate faster, but increasingly, congestion is the handicapping factor.
 Access to the bus services (mainly appropriate location of stops and
convenient walking to the stops and waiting conditions) is entirely the
authority's responsibility.  If buses could operate at higher speeds thanks
to appropriate infrastructure and better serve the market thanks to better
access, the system would not only remain self-financed, but could develop.

Todd, I am not advocating that the public should not spend money on public
transportation.  On the contrary, it should spend a lot on public transport
and on non-motorised transport.  But not in subsidies that compensate high
production costs due to automobile congestion and that attract passengers
with artificially low fares.  All around the globe people (are willing to)
spend a lot on transportation.  Public transport is the more efficient mass
transport.  Operations that cannot break even suffer (infra-)structural
handicaps and the need for subsidy is a symptom of bad infrastructure and
regulation policy.  Public policies should not cure the symptoms, but fix
the cause.  Therefore, public money should foremost go into investments that
allow public transport to compete in the transport market, i.e. operate with
profit.    Anybody who has the privilege to think of a new public transport
system should try to build this success into the system, not start with
raising the subsidy for failure.

Yours,

Joachim

Today's Topics:

  1. Re: Public transport subsidies (Todd Alexander Litman)

Message: 1