[sustran] Lahore and Public transport subsidies

Brendan Finn etts at indigo.ie
Mon Oct 12 06:28:05 JST 2009

Dear all,

Perhaps good quality PT can be provided in Lahore without subsidy, perhaps it can't,  I can't tell from this distance. A few thoughts:

- If the politicians demand that it is without subsidy, this will set an agenda and will certainly result in a different outcome. I'm not sure that this is the best starting point.

- It is always possible to make PT profitable, especially where car ownership and affordability is low. However, where profitability is a prerequisite, there will be places that won't get served (at least not as well as others) and there will be people that won't be able to afford the fares. These are tough decisions, the ground rules need to be made clear from the outset. Otherwise, everyone's time gets wasted (good scenario) or the public transport gets financially undermined and degenerates (bad scenario).

- Key financial drivers such as vehicles capital costs and fuel will be priced in first-world prices, but have to be paid for from third-world incomes. Even allowing for low driver and maintenance worker wages, this is still a tough equation to solve, especially if you want clean vehicles. If politicians want public transport to pay its way, it has to give the operators sufficient tariff freedom to generate a sustainable income - actually, it has to take the trouble to learn the cost structure of the industry and formally recognise it.

- I agree with Joachim's point that Government can invest in the infrastructure for public transport (I made this point in my earlier e-mail) which can establish the conditions for more productive PT with lower unit costs. However, this requires a capacity and political will on the Government side which is not always present.

- Put it another way, if Government is willing to roll up its sleeves and work hard, it may indeed be able to get finaicially viable PT. However, if it won't do the tough work and dumps the problem on others, then no-subsidy is a pipe dream or else the poorer sectors of the community get excluded.

I think Lahore is going to be quite interesting, and I would appreciate if Hassan keeps us informed on how the thinking develops. My memory is a bit hazy, but didn't Lahore previously try to offer out city or area franchises for bus operations?

With best wishes,

Brendan.
Brendan Finn          e-mail : etts at indigo.ie          tel : +353.87.2530286