[sustran] First Global Ministerial Conference on Road Safety [was Re: Road Safety]

Morten Lange morten7an at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 19 21:50:30 JST 2009

Hi

Good idea to keep an eye on that conference, First Global Ministerial Conference on Road Safety in Moscow, today and tomorrow 20.november.

The following point on the agenda of the declaration to be singed tomorrow
  http://www.who.int/roadsafety/ministerial_conference/declaration_en.pdf
looks promising :

5. Begin to implement safer and more sustainable transportation, including through land-use planning initiatives and by encouraging alternative forms of transportation;

Many other are traditional and partly can contribute to cement our current patterns.

How can we who "have ssen the light" best guide this initiative as it gathers strength  to not repeat the mistakes of the north, which the ministers seem set to forget :  A grand motorisation of urban and other transport and creating of barriers for an active lifestyle, with side effects like a worsening public health due to inactivity and pollution, inefficient transportation systems,  sprawling cities, increasing patterns of buy and throw away etc.

Instead of looking to the rich countries for solutions, I guess there are better models being developed in the South.  Curitiba and Bogotá spring to mind. Which are other good (or better) beacons ?

Best Regards,
Morten