[sustran] Re: FW: India - Bosch Horn commercial

Sujit Patwardhan patwardhan.sujit at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 14:51:18 JST 2009

Sorry Kanthi,

Not at all convincing.

If you are NOT a car driver and stuck in a traffic jam what do you do?
Justifying blowing the horn (in a manacing manner anyway) implies you agree
with the law of the jungle. It is a warning to non-car users to get out of
the way or else !!

If all are suck in a jam why should any one move aside and make way for the
car? No one moves out of the way for a cyclist or a pedestrian and
Sustainable Transportation Vision is trying to change precisely this
outdated attitude/vision.

The explanation given by the Advertising Agency is nothing but an excuse to
our continuing to accept Car Domination.

Sorry doesn't cut any ice with me.

--
Sujit

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 11:05 AM, Kanthi Kannan <kanthikannan at gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear all
>

> Greetings!!
>

> I have contacted the ad agency and here is what they have to say. Please do
> go through it and check whether it is acceptable.  I am personally
> satisfied
> and feel that there is no need to take this up at a different level. ( My
> feeling many of you might not share it).
>

> Regards
>
> Kanthi Kannan
>

> THOSE WHO WALK CANNOT DECIDE AND THOSE WHO DECIDE DO NOT WALK
>

>  "Horns are approved standard equipment in all auto products. All Bosch
> products comply with the highest environmental standards worldwide.
> Indiscriminate honking is not a practice Bosch encourages. Nor is it what
> the Bosch Horns TVC promotes. As much as it does not seek to promote
> pedestrian indiscipline.
>
> The commercial  reflects (and possibly exaggerates) what any driver would
> encounter on any given day in most busy city streets: a mob in a heated
> argument in the middle of a narrow road, blocking all traffic, without
> intending to do so. Clearly the mob before the young lady driver in the
> commercial do not pay her any heed and a continue to block the road and her
> path. The volatility of the situation in the commercial is what makes the
> young lady choose to stay in her car and not put herself at any personal
> risk. Her conspicuous, brightly colored car at a standstill, she waits,
> hoping they will notice her clear the road, giving her right of way. They
> don't. She looks helpless. As a last resort she blows her horn. It is
> certainly not a case of indiscriminate honking."

> sustran-discuss and get full membership rights.

> (the 'Global South').

“..each million we invest into urban motorways is an investment
to destroy the city“

Mayor Hans Joachim Vogel
Munich 1970

Sujit Patwardhan
patwardhan.sujit at gmail.com
sujitjp at gmail.com
Yamuna, ICS Colony, Ganeshkhind Road, Pune 411 007, India
Tel: +91 20 25537955
Cell: +91 98220 26627