[sustran] Models for Transportation Authorities

Jonathan Richmond richmond at alum.mit.edu
Sun Nov 1 14:54:36 JST 2009

The Bangladesh Cabinet has approved formation of a new Mass Transportation
Authority for Dhaka and I have been asked to present possible models for
proceeding with the new organization.

The reason for starting the new organization is to remedy the current lack
of coordination on transportation issues in government and to facilitate
a series of projects as well the professionalisation of management to
improve mobility and control congestion.

It seems to me that there are a series of key issues:

Will the authority coordinate other agencies to pursue projects and manage
operations, or will it directly implement projects and perform
operational management functions?

Will the authority directly complete planning/construction of projects and
then hand them over to other bodies for operation?

Will the organization coordinate road and public transport issues, or
operate only in the area of public transportation?

Will the authority perform regulatory functions, or will these remain in
other organizations?

Will the authority have budget control or only be enabled to make
recommendations?

I would appreciate help with identifying different models for transport
authority operation, examples of where they have been in operation, and
whether they have been successful, and also any literature on the subject
(please note I have no library access nor access to journal website
downloads, so I'd appreciate having relevant material emailed directly to
me where possible!)

Any ideas on what you think we might successfully pursue in Dhaka would
also be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

                    --Jonathan

-----