[sustran] [World Streets] Brainfood: Canned video interviews via Skype

The Editor editor at worldstreets.org
Thu May 28 17:52:50 JST 2009

[http://blip.tv/file/2137943]
If you have a minute you may want to have a quick look at this. You may
find some use in it. A few weeks ago some friends from The Movement
Design Bureau in London (Eyes on the Street), called over to suggest
that we might spend a few minutes together to demo a Skype video link
they are working with in a program they call Re*Move (forgive them,
they're English).

To give our video some content they invited me to wing it on the
subject of a kind of "layered conference" that I have been giving some
thought to for the last months, namely to investigate in some depth and
from different angles the concept of and potential for sharing (as
opposed to old-time ownership) in this strange new world of ours. . .
including various aspects of sharing in transportation.

I thought you might possibly want to have a quick look and cogitate a
bit about how you might in time want to put this approach to work in
some of your own projects? Remember. They are just getting underway
with this. It's still brainfood.

>From Re*Move, The Movement Design Bureau
Eric Britton's shared vision for future transportation
Eric Britton has a plan. The man behind worldstreets.org, thinks a lot
about the future of transport, and its connection to the overheating
nature of the planet. His 'Plan B' vision is a radical twelve point
blueprint that he thinks needs to be gone through to stop us cooking
the planet - and is an interesting read.

In the green transport field right now, alongside electric cars,
high-speed rail, and all the usual stuff that gets tossed around,
perhaps the most intriguing idea concerns not the development of new
products, but the networking together, and sharing of existing ones.
Our cars, bicylces, space - how do we 'use' them more effectively? Take
cars. Right now, we're fast-forwarding to a world of hybrids and EVs -
but what's the point when we've still got single vehicle occupancy,
one-person-to-one-car ownership, and one hour in every 24 utilisation
rates?

The problem is that at the very heart of the notion of today's car is a
concept built around ownership, freedom and the ability to cut yourself
off in a little glass and steel box. Your car is a space that, right
now, you probably only choose to 'share' with your friends and family.
Sharing a car with a complete stranger (even if you're not both in it
at the same time) is a relatively big leap to make, but it's something
worth thinking about.

That's what Eric wants to look into in more depth. So in the video chat
(above) we had with him a few weeks back, he described the idea of a
conference - for want of a better word - to draw people together to
talk about sharing within the bounds of future transportation. On the
first day, Eric suggests transportation-related talk should be banned.
Instead, the attendees - linked together with experts and interested
parties across the world via video and Internet, would seek to
understand the human psychology behind sharing things. Then on the next
days, this would be developed into the field of transportation
applications. The big news? Eric doesn't think it will work without a
woman at the helm...

Can we make this happen? Can you help? Watch the video, let us know
what you think, and check out World Streets for more.

--
Posted By The Editor to World Streets at 5/28/2009 10:47:00 AM