[sustran] Re: New Share Bike scheme in Taipei

Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory edelman at greenidea.eu
Wed Mar 25 23:42:17 JST 2009

BIXI certainly has a detailed and enthusiastic website but I have two
serious questions about imagery:

<http://www.bixisystem.com/we_are_bixi/> shows helmets on some people. I
didn't really see helmets anywhere else on the website -- also not in
the photos from the launch. I am not sure what message BIXI is trying to
create with that image. The obstacles regarding public bikes where there
are mandatory helmet laws are well known to us all.

<http://www.bixisystem.com/bixi_system/> shows what looks like a fast
residential street with no separate or even marked infrastructure for
cyclists. In fact, it seems that in the process of parking a bike one
could have issues with cars or other vehicles in the right lane. With
this comment I am not arguing for any solution in particular but it
would be great if cities or people get the suggestion that making
substantial infrastructure changes on the street is a wonderful idea.

Also, BIXI considers it a positive that its racks and system are
easy-to-install but I would argue that more permanent-seeming
infrastructure is better. Whether it is tram tracks and catenary, a
built-up BRT corridor or planted trees etc. in former car space it
indicates a commitment from the city and its citizens. Doing something
which can be removed just for a pilot can be a good idea, of course.

Regards,

Zvi Leve wrote:
> Montreal's public bike scheme - Bixi
> <http://www.bixisystem.com/expertise/> - also has the active
> involvement of local designers, manufacturers and even software
> developers.

[...]

Todd Edelman
Green Idea Factory

Urbanstr. 45
D-10967 Berlin
Germany

Skype: toddedelman
Mobile: ++49 0162 814 4081
Home/Office: ++49 030 7554 0001

edelman at greenidea.eu
www.greenidea.eu
www.flickr.com/photos/edelman

CAR is over. If you want it.

"Fort mit der Autostadt und was Neues hingebaut!"
- B. Brecht (with slight modification)